Thursday, November 23, 2006

Notes: Kidz In The Hall - School Was My Hustle

I know I have been absent for a while but sadly I have been working myself like a dog so when I put on some tracks, I don't have time to waste wondering if I'm going to enjoy it or not. So I've been sticking with the proven favorites as of late.

Amazingly though, I have found ways to enhance my musical experience at work. And so I have procured a copy of the new album School Was My Hustle by Kidz In The Hall. Now there is a plethora of reasons for me to be attracted to this record. First off, they were Okayplayer featured artists, which is the online home of The Roots, Jill Scott, and a bunch of other people I rock. Second it is underground rap. Third, these guys are Ivy Leaguers (Penn) so you have to hear what they really sound like. Fourth is the fact that this is a release from the long dormant Rawkus Records which used to be the standard bearer for progressive hip-hop.

From the first track, I already felt a pull back to the olden days, around the mid-90s. They kind of remind me of a Camp Lo type group. Smart lyrics, soulful beats. I'm really feeling Ritalin, an energetic two-minute romp that comes right after the intro. And it's quite apparent that they are college kids cause they keep referencing songs that were before their time like Wheelz Fall Off ('06 Til) which definitely takes inspiration from Souls of Mischief's '93 Til Infinity. But honestly this is really good stuff. They even have a track that uses the same sample Mr. Carter used for Show Me What You Got which seems pretty peculiar since the albums have dropped so close to each other, but honestly The Kidz Don't Stop sounds like the superior record.

I might actually go out and purchase it.

No comments: